[Owasp-leaders] On Project Reboots

John Wilander john.wilander at owasp.org
Tue Apr 10 09:33:12 UTC 2012

I totally agree paying OWASP projects or project leaders is wrong. Dinis
convinced me at AppSec DC 2009. Whatever money OWASP can pay us it'll be
pennies compared to our daytime jobs. The only thing those pennies will do
is to remind project leaders and members that they can earn much more on a
paid job. Ergo less done for OWASP.

We had a chapter meeting on open source security with the lead developers
of cURL (http://curl.haxx.se/) and GNU SASL (
http://www.gnu.org/software/gsasl/). They both had the same experience - a
successful FOSS project typically has numerous one-time committers and a
core of 1-3 long-time committers. The recently published study "Open Source
by the Numbers" (
https://events.linuxfoundation.org/images/stories/pdf/lfcs2012_sands.pdf)
shows only 17.3% of FOSS projects have at least one code commit the last
year. It also shows 50.7% have only one team member and another 20% only
two members.

We have to start recognizing that free open source software is something
different from commercial, proprietary software. You can build FOSS to
prove a point, to make the world a better place, to build a personal brand,
to try out a new cool technology etc. But you don't do it to directly earn
money.

OWASP projects will wither and die no matter how A-level or well known they
are. Look at WebScarab.

My proposal:

   - Make project leaders/teams state what level of commitment they intend
   to have when OWASP promotes their project to A-level. For instance "We will
   patch major bugs within 60 days of reporting and there will be new major
   releases at least once a year." Note that "We might not fix anything with
   this software" is a fine statement but will be weighed into the decision to
   promote or not. The leader's/team's commitment is published with the
   project.
   - If a project team fails to live up to its commitment it's immediately
   degraded to B-level. Not as a punishment, just as a reality check --
   apparently nobody is caring for this project at the moment, right? The
   leader/team and the leaders' list should be notified.
   - Let projects ask for specific funding. Wanting to organize a hackathon
   or get a project page on a specific domain are viable causes for funding.
   Regular project work is not IMHO.

Side note: "OWASP is nothing without our projects." Whatever happened to
chapters? For me chapters are at least as much of a backbone as guides and
software. And chapters wither and die too.

   Regards, John

--
John Wilander, https://twitter.com/johnwilander
Chapter co-leader OWASP Sweden, http://owaspsweden.blogspot.com