[Owasp-leaders] Owasp projects reboot

Tom Brennan tomb at owasp.org
Mon Apr 2 13:06:29 UTC 2012

FYI we have invested 190k in salaries for staff for 2012 and our Director and staff are is handling the void until the GPC is able to write the job description and we are able to fill that role Dinis.

If you want to really help, plug back into the GPC and help with defining the workflow and the responsibilities,  GPC is a small committee with one of the biggest jobs https://www.owasp.org/index.php/Global_Committee_Pages

For what it is worth for the the people watching this thread - this is on the agenda for the next board meeting at AppSecDC this week.

On Apr 2, 2012, at 8:42 AM, dinis cruz wrote:

>  - overwhelmed by the amount of work
>  - lack of energy
>  - no operational support (ie no employee to help)
>  - no community support (other owasp-leaders)
>
> For me, the key problem that the GPC has today, is the lack of an operational resource like the one we had in Paulo Coimbra.
>
> Paulo was the rock and enabler behind OWASP's projects, and his spectacular patience and attention to detail, helped lots of projects to start and flourish. For a reminder of his great work, take a look at https://www.owasp.org/index.php/User:Paulo_Coimbra specially this page which is probably the best overview that we have for our projects: https://www.owasp.org/index.php/OWASP_Projects_Dashboard_2.0
>
> Unfortunately Paulo's actions (and value) where never fully appreciated , which is clearly seen by the fact that he was not replaced when he left OWASP (note that it was not a question of lack of funds, it was a strategic decision to NOT replace Paulo with equivalent resource(s) )
>
> So maybe we could use the current energy and focus on OWASP projects to correct this?
>
> OWASP needs dedicated employee(s) to manage it's projects. And if there are any funds spent on owasp projects, those funds should first go to hire these resource(s)
>
> And if you disagree, please take a look at https://www.owasp.org/index.php/OWASP_Projects_Dashboard_2.0 and come up with a better solution to manage that.
>
> At the moment we don't know what is the status of our projects (including it's community use, downloads, energy).
>
> Without that info, I don't think that it is possible to chose which projects to 'invest'
>
> Dinis Cruz
>
> On 2 Apr 2012, at 12:46, Dennis Groves <dennis.groves at owasp.org> wrote:
>
>> Interesting idea - what happens when somebody passionate comes along and wants to poor a lot of energy into a project that is abandoned - and the 'project leader' is long disappeared from the internets (Think Why the lucky stiff for example)? How do we turn over the keys to that individual?
>>
>> Also who is on the project committee, and are they involved in this conversation? It seems they have some actions they owe the community...
>>
>> Dennis
>>
>> --
>> Dennis Groves, MSc
>> dennis.groves at owasp.org
>>

>> This work is licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License. To view a copy of this license, visit http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc-nd/3.0/ or send a letter to Creative Commons, 444 Castro Street, Suite 900, Mountain View, California, 94041, USA.
>>

>> On Mon, Apr 2, 2012 at 10:49, Eoin <eoin.keary at owasp.org> wrote:
>> Inactive project leaders may need to hand over leadership also if they don't think they can commit (myself included).
>>

>> Eoin Keary
>> BCC Risk Advisory
>> Owasp Global Board
> [...]

Tom Brennan