[Owasp-leaders] Owasp projects reboot

dinis cruz dinis.cruz at owasp.org
Mon Apr 2 12:42:12 UTC 2012

I think there are a couple of reasons why the GPC (Global Projects
Committee -
https://www.owasp.org/index.php/Category:Global_Projects_Committee) is MIA
in this conversation, on their own mailing list, in creating new projects,
in migrating into SF , etc...:

 - overwhelmed by the amount of work
 - lack of energy
 - no operational support (ie no employee to help)
 - no community support (other owasp-leaders)

For me, the key problem that the GPC has today, is the lack of an
operational resource like the one we had in Paulo Coimbra.

Paulo was the rock and enabler behind OWASP's projects, and his spectacular
patience and attention to detail, helped lots of projects to start and
flourish. For a reminder of his great work, take a look at
https://www.owasp.org/index.php/User:Paulo_Coimbra specially this page
which is probably the best overview that we have for our projects:
https://www.owasp.org/index.php/OWASP_Projects_Dashboard_2.0

Unfortunately Paulo's actions (and value) where never fully appreciated ,
which is clearly seen by the fact that he was not replaced when he left
OWASP (note that it was not a question of lack of funds, it was a strategic
decision to NOT replace Paulo with equivalent resource(s) )

So maybe we could use the current energy and focus on OWASP projects to
correct this?

OWASP needs dedicated employee(s) to manage it's projects. And if there are
any funds spent on owasp projects, those funds should first go to hire
these resource(s)

And if you disagree, please take a look at
https://www.owasp.org/index.php/OWASP_Projects_Dashboard_2.0 and come up
with a better solution to manage that.

At the moment we don't know what is the status of our projects (including
it's community use, downloads, energy).

Without that info, I don't think that it is possible to chose which
projects to 'invest'

Dinis Cruz

On 2 Apr 2012, at 12:46, Dennis Groves <dennis.groves at owasp.org> wrote:

Interesting idea - what happens when somebody passionate comes along and
wants to poor a lot of energy into a project that is abandoned - and the
'project leader' is long disappeared from the internets (Think Why the
lucky stiff for example)? How do we turn over the keys to that individual?

Also who is on the project committee, and are they involved in this
conversation? It seems they have some actions they owe the community...

Dennis

--
Dennis Groves <http://about.me/dennis.groves>, MSc
dennis.groves at owasp.org

 <http://www.owasp.org/>

*This work is licensed under the Creative Commons
Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License. To view a copy of
this license, visit http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc-nd/3.0/ or
send a letter to Creative Commons, 444 Castro Street, Suite 900, Mountain
View, California, 94041, USA.*