[Owasp-leaders] ISSA Intl. @ Baltimore

Neil Matatall neil at owasp.org
Thu Oct 27 22:53:55 EDT 2011

I too manned a booth at an ISSA and had some interesting feedback.
 Although, a lot less precise than John.

(forgive the candid assessment, it was a great conference overall)

Mistakes they made:

   1. More than one vendor was not even aware of the bingo-style iPad
   drawing where you visit each vendor.  Fail.
   2. One person won 3 prizes, 5 people one two prizes, and a handful of
   others won prizes during the vendor raffle.  There was a lot of murmuring.
    I brought this to the attention of the organizers early on.  They ensured
   me that the policy was "two prizes per person".  I feel that is a terrible
   policy.  One prize per attendee or else you get what just happened.  One guy
   one an Amazon Fire and an iPad 2.  Yeah, I'm jealous.
   3. I felt the quality of the exhibitors was poor-moderate.  Of course,
   I'd have the same issue if I had trouble getting vendors.

Mistakes we (I) made

   1. Every single one of my books was taken within a few hours.  I made
   each attendee earn the book through discussion, but they went like hotcakes
   while I came back with a bunch of pens and notepads.  This crowd LOVED the
   books.  And as soon as I told the afternoon people that they were available
   online, they gave up.
   2. The OWASP booth was right next to the ISSA and ISACA booths.  Only
   ISSA got traffic because they had a wheel to win prizes.  Most would walk
   away without visiting my or ISACA's booth.
   3. I shipped everything to my personal address and for various reasons, I
   was an hour or two late.  The other two booth members were rightly hounding
   me and said we missed opportunities.
   4. Did not bring a signup sheet.  owasp.org scares this crowd and they
   would never think of joining such an organization.  (again, forgive the
   candidness, it's more terse than a detailed explanation)

Things they did right:

   1. Some of the best conference food I've ever had along with brunch,
   lunch, ice cream social, and a cash bar.
   2. The venue is great for continuing the discussion at the local
   establishments (aka bars)
   3. Registation was dead simple, fast, and efficient.
   4. Vendor bingo.  I love that ish.  I'm going to talk to all of them
   anyways, and vendors are excited when they stamp someone's card who actually
   listened and participated in the product discussion.
   5. A real sense of "we are grateful you came" to both attendees and
   speakers.  It was a very warm crowd.

Take aways:
Don't screw your vendors or your attendees.
More books.  More books.  More books.  Less schwag
Fooooooood