[Owasp-leaders] Thomas Ryan - OWASP - OccupyWallStreet - Gawker

Christian Heinrich christian.heinrich at owasp.org
Sun Oct 16 21:14:41 EDT 2011

Chris,

On Mon, Oct 17, 2011 at 11:57 AM, Chris Schmidt <chris.schmidt at owasp.org> wrote:
> Christian - your points are completely aside from the point of my
> e-mail. I don't care where they got their facts and I don't care what
> Tom did or did not do, this is not the place for such discussions. The
> fact of the matter is that OWASP needs to inform Gawker that he is *not*
> an OWASP board member so they can redact that part of the article for
> sake of people that are *not* Gawker and *not* Tom, and *not* us. This
> is not an attack on Tom, it is a reaction to a statement made in an
> article that is incorrect that needs to be corrected, that is all -
> please do not turn this into something else.

You haven't considered that Gawker issuing a clarification as "Tom
Ryan is a former Board Member of the OWASP NYC/NJ Chapter" would make
this worst for OWASP by naming the OWASP NYC/NJ Chapter?

In the end, it doesn't matter what your intention is because their
(i.e. media) agenda is continue this story based on emotive reaction
(it is Gawker btw) and if this is clarified then their journalists
would attend https://www.owasp.org/index.php/NYNJMetro and ask the
attendees for their uninformed comment who then subsequently find
themselves also as victims as being cited as sources of fact.

If they contact you it is best to say "no comment" and hang up the phone.

--
Regards,
Christian Heinrich