[Owasp-leaders] Thomas Ryan - OWASP - OccupyWallStreet - Gawker

Christian Heinrich christian.heinrich at owasp.org
Sun Oct 16 20:27:45 EDT 2011

Chris,

On Mon, Oct 17, 2011 at 11:08 AM, Chris Schmidt <chris.schmidt at owasp.org> wrote:
> "Ryan said he knows Loyd through their mutual involvement in the Open Web
> Application Security Project, a non-profit computer security group of which
> Ryan is a board member."

I would suspect that Tom Ryan was quoted out of context  i.e. Loyd
would have met Tom at the OWASP NYC/NJ Chapter based on the location
of the events that Tom was investigating.

>From a PR standpoint it would be in the best interests of OWASP not to
comment because it will simply draw attention to OWASP and journalists
will commence quoting this thread as our position regardless of the
proposed PR states and therefore puts the OWASP Brand at risk.

Remember, OWASP is *not* the focus of Gawker and their ulterior motive
may have been to include create an emotional response (which appears
to have worked) to milk this for all it is worth.

--
Regards,
Christian Heinrich