[Owasp-leaders] OWASP Top 10 2012

Andrew van der Stock vanderaj at owasp.org
Tue Oct 11 10:18:57 EDT 2011

These are all great ideas, but it's bed time for me as I have to get up in 5 hours time.

In some ways, this proactive project is a perfect Level 1 ASVS starter criteria, leaving Levels 2-4 to cope with ever more increasing requirements.

Although completely imperfect to me (and has been for years), there are many who probably would be very surprised / upset if every original OWASP Top 10 control changed between 2010 and 2012 editions. So probably best to make a new project that doesn't distort the existing 2012 process or resulting document. Hopefully, the new proactive project can get some serious marketing oomph / promotion so as to get some traction outside of traditional OWASP Top 10 consumers.

@Anyone on the projects committee - can you please help create a

"OWASP Top 10 Proactive Controls"

project and mail list? I will fill in any necessary electronic wiki bits and pieces, forms etc - but after I wake up.

Although I like the idea of calling it "OWASP Appsec TODO:", the reality is that I want it to encompass the business folks, too, and they may not get the TODO: reference*.

I've been looking for a graceful way to bow out of the Global Chapter Committee for a while whilst still remaining involved with OWASP, and I think I've just found it. The GCC meeting times are just too difficult for me to get to now that I don't work from home. This project sounds like a potentially very valuable project in its own right, particularly if we can coordinate with / revitalise the ASVS project.

thanks,
Andrew

* My code often has XXX: comments, but that's not suitable for a project title ;-)