[Owasp-leaders] OWASP Top 10 2012

Juan Carlos Calderon Rojas juan.calderon at softtek.com
Tue Oct 11 10:07:05 EDT 2011

IMHO OWASP Top 10 has well defined objective and have served it well in these years: "To spot Top 10 risks for applications". The model worked and proof of it is that it is a very well know document now. Changing its objective so drastically will break it and harm OWASP as well.

It is misused as standard... that is true, but is lack of (other) better consumable documentation the one to blame, Top 10 is so straight forward that it is easy to point to it.

Take ASVS for example is a great document and it is intended to test for security controls to be in place. Why not making ASVS as well know as Top10 instead of changing a well established document. ASVS + ESAPI has most of the items listed below. What about doing a parallel "OWASP Top 10 Security Controls" based on what portions of existing documentation to implement? It sobjetive will be "with this 20% of controls you will be protected agains 80% of vulnerabilities and that is the minimum you should consider", just as current top 10 is the least list of risk to consider.

Let's build upon what we have, build more, rather than take down something that (IMO) is already solid. I am in for that Top 10...

Regards,

Juan Carlos Calderon