[Owasp-leaders] OWASP Top 10 2012

Dennis Groves dennis.groves at owasp.org
Tue Oct 11 07:43:36 EDT 2011

I couldn't agree more Andrew, we are starting to enumerate badness instead
of concentrate on prescriptions for solving the very, very difficult
problems like input validation. Input validation only seems simple, but in
reality it is a Gödel problem. What we need to do is to describe a 'good
enough' solution; such as AntiXSS or AppSensor that at least reduces the
amount of input (variety) that has to be managed.

I would also add that it is my humble 2cents that IT operations people have
been struggling with this problem for more than a decade;
while senior management (as opposed to IT management) has not. I have not
walked into many clients where they had an ISMS; nor an ISOC - this tells me
that one of the top 10 problems without a doubt is that senior management
doesn't understand its role, or has not been successfully educated and
thus everything turns into a compliance exercise.

And that is *psychology problem*, not security.

It takes the ability to 'spin the right story' so that security is seen as a
business enabler that makes it safe, as opposed to a blocker that impedes,
or something 'must' be done for compliance sake. When ever I hear about this
'negative box ticking,' I have found this to be the case. Nobody wants to do
a bad job or do work for work sake.

We security professionals all agree that security is not security for
security sake; so it must be the case that the value is not understood and
so people are not motivated to participate. Thus we have failed in our fist
mission, namely to successfully communicate our value to the business.

So in summary someplace on this list is:

- security education (everybody plays a part in the human factor)
- security management (continuous improvement / agile security?)

--
Dennis Groves <http://about.me/dennis.groves>, MSc
dennis.groves at owasp.org

 <http://www.owasp.org/>