[Owasp-leaders] OWASP Top 10 2012

Dave Wichers dave.wichers at owasp.org
Fri Oct 7 13:10:44 EDT 2011

To clarify, Juan agrees with me, or vice versa. Don't care which.

CC: owasp-leaders at lists.owasp.org
Asunto: Re: [Owasp-leaders] OWASP Top 10 2012

I agree with Venkatesh here. I actually think .NET is MORE secure than Java
in many respects. However, I think because Microsoft actually tried to build
some security into .NET in certain areas, like automatic XSS defenses, they
shot themselves in the foot to some degree because they provided .Net
developers with a false sense of security in that area. Since their anti-XSS
mechanism wasn't actually bullet proof, it actually ended up causing .NET
apps to have MORE XSS vulns than Java apps on average. However, the .NET
developers got this 'benefit' for free, i.e., they didn't have to do
anything to get to their level of XSS vulns, but the Java developers had to
work really hard to actually get their XSS vuln count down because Java had
no built in anti-XSS defenses. If you built the same App in both Java and
.NET and the developers didn't specifically try to stop XSS vulns, the .NET
app would actually have far less XSS than the Java one.

I'm not a PHP expert so I can't comment there.

Rather than having a 'different' Top 10 for each language, I think it WOULD
be really cool to have a document like, How to address the OWASP Top 10 in
Java/.NET/PHP, etc. Then the docs would be aligned with each other, rather
than out of sync/different order/etc., which would be very confusing.
However, if I was a developer for language X, and there was a Top 10 for
that language, that would be very helpful for me, and not confusing since it
covers the same stuff as the 'standard' Top 10.

What do you think about this variant on your idea?

-Dave