[Owasp-leaders] OWASP Top 10 2012

John Melton jtmelton at gmail.com
Fri Oct 7 11:24:17 EDT 2011

I agree with several of the opinions expressed here. I tend to think of this
in a wizard style approach (there's been talk of this style of organization
in other project areas as well, I think Curphey had this in his keynote from
appsecusa). For instance, I personally am a Java guy, so I'd logically like
to have a flow that says Top 10 list -> CSRF (Issue I have) -> choose
technology -> Java -> choose framework(s) -> Struts 2 -> now get
prescriptive guidance. To me that's the simplest and most logical flow for
developers. I have no idea how a flow like that would work within the wiki,
btw. Just speaking for Java, I think there's little value in providing
solutions unless you give framework-specific (not just language-specific)
guidance, since that's where most devs live.

Clearly the top 10 has had tremendous impact on the industry - this seems
like a very logical place to start given the recent focus of strong
developer outreach. The top 10 doc is probably the 1 item OWASP produces
that is in the hands of more developers than anything else (from my
experience), so giving them solid solutions seems a good idea.

As an aside, my top 10 blog set was really meant to show the power of ESAPI.
So while it is Java specific, there are often more framework compliant ways
to accomplish the solutions (like token solutions for CSRF in all the
frameworks).

Thanks,
John