[Owasp-leaders] OWASP Top 10 2012

Erwin Geirnaert erwin.geirnaert at zionsecurity.com
Fri Oct 7 10:44:49 EDT 2011

Hi Dave,

That's what I did with the OWASP Top 10 for JEE 2007 where I only described the issue for JEE and the necessary countermeasures.
But the Top 10 used was the general one, and not specific for Java so for example you have the concept of malicious file execution where you include PHP file from a malicious origin in a parameter and that doesn't apply to Java or .NET

Discussing with a Java hardcore developer that Spring Security is not really a solution for the OWASP Top 10 is a difficult job :)

Best regards,

Erwin

Van: Dave Wichers <dave.wichers at owasp.org<mailto:dave.wichers at owasp.org>>
Datum: Fri, 7 Oct 2011 07:39:07 -0700
Aan: 'Venkatesh Jagannathan' <venki at owasp.org<mailto:venki at owasp.org>>, Erwin Geirnaert <erwin.geirnaert at zionsecurity.com<mailto:erwin.geirnaert at zionsecurity.com>>
CC: "owasp-leaders at lists.owasp.org<mailto:owasp-leaders at lists.owasp.org>" <owasp-leaders at lists.owasp.org<mailto:owasp-leaders at lists.owasp.org>>
Onderwerp: RE: [Owasp-leaders] OWASP Top 10 2012

I agree with Venkatesh here. I actually think .NET is MORE secure than Java in many respects. However, I think because Microsoft actually tried to build some security into .NET in certain areas, like automatic XSS defenses, they shot themselves in the foot to some degree because they provided .Net developers with a false sense of security in that area. Since their anti-XSS mechanism wasn’t actually bullet proof, it actually ended up causing .NET apps to have MORE XSS vulns than Java apps on average. However, the .NET developers got this ‘benefit’ for free, i.e., they didn’t have to do anything to get to their level of XSS vulns, but the Java developers had to work really hard to actually get their XSS vuln count down because Java had no built in anti-XSS defenses. If you built the same App in both Java and .NET and the developers didn’t specifically try to stop XSS vulns, the .NET app would actually have far less XSS than the Java one.

I’m not a PHP expert so I can’t comment there.

Rather than having a ‘different’ Top 10 for each language, I think it WOULD be really cool to have a document like, How to address the OWASP Top 10 in Java/.NET/PHP, etc. Then the docs would be aligned with each other, rather than out of sync/different order/etc., which would be very confusing. However, if I was a developer for language X, and there was a Top 10 for that language, that would be very helpful for me, and not confusing since it covers the same stuff as the ‘standard’ Top 10.

What do you think about this variant on your idea?

-Dave