[Owasp-leaders] Knuth / Quote / Thought

Dennis Groves dennis.groves at owasp.org
Mon Nov 7 04:59:05 EST 2011

OWASP creates a lot of value for member and non-members alike. And I
believe that many people would love to have a successful organisation the
size of OWASP, weather for profit or not. OWASP is a very interesting
social phenomena because we successfully operate without all the any of the
traditional structure believed to be necessary to have
a successful organisation. And even more radically - many of us have never
even met in real life!

Can you imagine MBA schools teaching people to run their business in the
way we run OWASP? It seems almost laughable and yet OWASP manages to
continue to exist, grow and influence despite these apparent handicaps.
Personally, I believe we have a very healthy community and organisation -
and I think the success of OWASP is reflected in the OWASP management
model. Many open-source & GPL projects operate similarly. Is this the
future of management? I would like to think so, and I tend to think of it
as very state of the art.

What was interesting was reading Donald Knuth's views - because on some
level he was saying that this is how greek universities operated. The greek
universities gathered into a physical space and had met each other, where
OWASP gathers in cyberspace and from time to time in physical space. And
thus, perhaps what OWASP has done is not something new at all -
but rediscovered the old and successful model given that the University
tradition continues even to this day.

--
Dennis Groves <http://about.me/dennis.groves>, MSc
dennis.groves at owasp.org

 <http://www.owasp.org/>

*This work is licensed under the Creative Commons
Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License. To view a copy of
this license, visit http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc-nd/3.0/ or
send a letter to Creative Commons, 444 Castro Street, Suite 900, Mountain
View, California, 94041, USA.*