[Owasp-leaders] New OWASP project

Jason Li jason.li at owasp.org
Tue Nov 1 19:14:23 EDT 2011

All,

OWASP encourages projects of any type, as long as they are open and related
to application security. Those are the only requirements for a project
idea. As Michael pointed out, the low barrier to entry encourages
participation from talented volunteers.

Yes, that has resulted in a huge landscape of OWASP projects - all of which
are in various stages of maturity. This situation makes navigating the
OWASP Project landscape difficult. But it is not the responsibility or
burden of a project leader to worry about those issues. OWASP as an
organization should be responsible for managing the project landscape and
facilitating navigation of that landscape.  Project leaders should be
focused on their project.

There's no telling where any project will or will not go from the onset. We
have many projects that die on the vine after the project leader realizes
the use cases are limited, or that the user population isn't there, or the
proof of concept doesn't pan out. We have many projects that grow from the
inkling of an idea to wildly and unexpectedly popular projects that become
almost synonymous with OWASP. And we don't have the crystal ball to predict
which ones are which in advanced.

Ultimately, it is still up to the project and its leader to succeed. A
project that has value will find an audience and support within the
community; a project that doesn't have value won't.

But just because *you* can't see the potential value in a project doesn't
mean that there won't be value in it.

Note that there are a couple projects at OWASP in early stages of
development that are essentially repositories of hashes:
* https://www.owasp.org/index.php/OWASP_Secure_Password_Project
* https://www.owasp.org/index.php/Category:OWASP_Favicon_Database_Project

When we were gathering metadata about projects during our inventory process
last June, I myself was uncertain about the use case for the Favicon
Database Project. Much to my surprise, OWASP was coincidentally contacted
soon after about the project.  They wanted to confirm the licensing of the
database because they wanted to use it!

None of us are prescient enough to know what project ideas may have value
to others.

If we have a volunteer that *wants* to work on a project, and there's the
potential that even one person out there someday finds it useful, isn't
that worthwhile?

And before anyone argues that it would be more worthwhile if we diverted
such volunteer energy and efforts towards projects with universally
acknowledged potential, guess what? Volunteers work on what they want to
work on. That's the nature of volunteers. I believe OWASP would be *very*
hard pressed to "assign" volunteers to specific tasks unless they're
already interested in doing it anyway.

So if a potential project contributor has an idea that doesn't go against
OWASP core values and principles, and they want to commit and devote the
energy to work on implementing that idea, then why shouldn't we encourage
and support that person?

The Global Projects Committee took this approach in encouraging Lucas to
proceed with his project idea and we wish him good luck and success with
his project.

The GPC has already been working to make the project inception process more
scalable. I hope that we will soon be able to provide a platform for folks
to comment and provide feedback on project ideas. But ultimately the
project leader will take the project in the direction they see fit.

-Jason
Global Projects Committee Chair