[Owasp-leaders] Hack OWASP.org as a pre/during Summit Competition

dinis cruz dinis.cruz at owasp.org
Wed Jan 26 14:12:00 EST 2011

Fair enough Michael ( & others) let's drop this idea

It would be great if we could capture the ideas presented in this thread at
a Summit's Working session

Dinis Cruz

On 26 Jan 2011, at 18:08, Michael Coates <michael.coates at owasp.org> wrote:

Short summary: We should not do this before the summit.

Full email:

There is an overwhelming response from OWASP against this idea - not because
it isn't a good idea, but because of the many potential outcomes.

As someone very familiar with bug bounty programs, I'd like to throw out a
few thoughts.

1. Bug bounty programs are great
2. You better know what you are getting into

With both of those items said, I strongly advise that we *do not* launch a
HACK OWASP project until we have thoroughly discussed the issue, and
especially not in a 2 week window right before the summit.  Nothing should
happen with lots of planning, consideration, virtual test servers, response
resources, monitoring controls, available blocking and more.  I have plenty
more to share and would be happy to do so during appropriate planning calls.
However, this should be given the time and planning it deserves.  Attempting
to launch a program in a matter of weeks will result in many bad outcomes.

Michael Coates
OWASP

On Jan 26, 2011, at 12:41 AM, dinis cruz wrote:

Loredana has taken the lead on this one and created the page
http://www.owasp.org/index.php/Summit_2011/Competition/Hack_OWASP.ORG with
details about this competition (she will also be the main point of contact
for this competition)

Before I submit this to the OWASP board for vote, can you please take a look
and chip in with your ideas (for example I think that the scope should
include offline MediaWiki exploits/vulns and the competition should also
continue during the Summit (we are going to set up a 'hacking room' just
like we did at the last Summit (we need to think about the prices for the
vulns discovered during the Summit))

Dinis Cruz