[Owasp-leaders] Need energy for sorting out the Summit's REMOTE PARTICIPANTS Fwd: Great news we have a sponsor for the Video uplink and broadcast

Sethi, Rohit rohit at securitycompass.com
Wed Jan 26 13:18:17 EST 2011

Thoughts in-line below

Rohit Sethi
Vice President, Product Development
Security Compass
http://www.securitycompass.com<http://www.securitycompass.com/>
Twitter: rksethi

From: owasp-leaders-bounces at lists.owasp.org [mailto:owasp-leaders-bounces at lists.owasp.org] On Behalf Of Mateo Martinez
Sent: Wednesday, January 26, 2011 12:55 PM
To: owasp-leaders at lists.owasp.org
Subject: Re: [Owasp-leaders] Need energy for sorting out the Summit's REMOTE PARTICIPANTS Fwd: Great news we have a sponsor for the Video uplink and broadcast

Hi Dinis,

First of all we need to identify the remote participants.

- How do remote participants register the Working Sessions they want to

   participate?

Googledocs? Form? The summit online could be open to joiners...

Is this important? Let’s just do first-come, first-serve up to a maximum number for participants in a remote session. The maximum would depend on technology chosen

   - How do we manage the situation where the Working Session chair is

   participating remotely? (for example the project leader whose project is the

   title of the working session)

We could use some solutions like http://www.dimdim.com/ for remote working session chair and stream the session as usual.

Dim-dim sounds great

   - How do remote participants map out when they are available? (note that

   we have to take into account their time zones (US, Europe, Australia,

   etc...)

I suggest you stick to the same time zone as the summit and require remote participants to take part during this time. Working chairs could probably try and choose a time slot that coincides with their waking hours

   - What broadcast technology should we use? It is already defined? Could be dimdim. May be we could contact them for some support.

Again dim-dim sounds great

   - How to receive the remote participants comments, audio and/or video and

   relay that to the local participants? twitter, telephone bridge?

Chat on dim-dim (or whatever web conferencing solution we end up using)

   - Who will be at the Working session writing a transcription of what is

   going on. I.e. doing what (for example) Sandra did for the OWASP Academies

   using http://www.coveritlive.com/

 Could be coveritlive.com<http://coveritlive.com> or twitter....

How about a screen recording?

   - How do we expose to the rest of the OWASP and WebAppSec community that

   it will be possible to participate remotely in the Summit?

Promote this on the webpage and through the mailing lists. Agreed

   - If all is set-up/organized properly, should we temporarily take over

   the OWASP.org home page and push as many visitors to what is going on at the

   Summit?

          Is that necessary? Maybe a banner at the top of the page with a link might be sufficient

We could include a kind of blog or connect to twitter tweets.

Please, your comments and suggestions.

Warm regards,

Mateo

2011/1/20 dinis cruz <dinis.cruz at owasp.org<mailto:dinis.cruz at owasp.org>>
Hi Matteo, thanks for the help, can you start with the items/ideas on this email https://lists.owasp.org/pipermail/owasp-leaders/2011-January/004324.html ?

One item that needs to be sorted out ASAP is how to register the remote participants (so that we can track them and take their needs/requirements into account when we build the final schedule)

Dinis Cruz

On 20 January 2011 23:24, Mateo Martinez <mateomar at gmail.com<mailto:mateomar at gmail.com>> wrote:
Dear Dinis,

I will be in the Summit, add me to the team to manage it. Please let me know if anything else is required before the Summit.

Warm regards,

Mateo
2011/1/20 dinis cruz <dinis.cruz at owasp.org<mailto:dinis.cruz at owasp.org>>
As you can see by the email below, we will have 1 high quality 24h video stream of the Summit

This means that remote participation can now be a reality, BUT we need a team to manage it!!!!!!

I sent an email a couple days ago  (https://lists.owasp.org/pipermail/owasp-leaders/2011-January/004324.html) which received NO (i.e. zero) response

The owasp leaders on this list that are NOT going to the Summit, are the ones that have the most interest in making this happen, so some of you really need to step-up and help to make this happen.

This could set-up a great precedent where we are able to figure out how to allow remote participation into important working sessions, like the ones that will happen at the Summit.

This also opens up the opportunity for popular Working Session to have remote participation of key players that were not able to make it to the Summit (Browser guys, I'm looking at you and the 'missing' browsers :)   )

Dinis Cruz