[Owasp-leaders] OWASP Secure Coding Track: Actions from 01//24/11 at 8:30EST

Chris Schmidt chris.schmidt at owasp.org
Tue Jan 25 09:58:05 EST 2011

On the contrary Jim - Modularization is not about *removing functionality*
or *limiting new features* at all. It is about building the API in a way
that users can pick and choose what functionality they actually need.

Think about the jQuery UI Downloader widget. Jquery-UI is a huge project,
especially when compounded with all of it's themes and styles. When you
download jQuery-UI you pick and choose the components that you intend on
using and pick the style that you want to use.

This is how I envision ESAPI functioning. The real power of ESAPI is the API
itself, not the individual implementations, so I think having standalone
controls as you call out below, while something that should be doable
completely breaks the entire philosophy of the API itself.

The idea is that this is a component of ESAPI that can be dropped in where
it is needed. However, if you don't have any need for the Hibernate encoder,
well - why would you even want the code in your codebase right?

This is my $0.02