[Owasp-leaders] First Local Chapter Meeting Guidelines

Matthew Chalmers matthew.chalmers at owasp.org
Fri Jan 21 20:38:01 EST 2011

Hi Georgi,

An OWASP chapter and its meetings are what you make of them and could be
good or great depending on how much effort the leadership puts in.

Check out the chapter resources listed at
http://www.owasp.org/index.php/Category:OWASP_Chapter#Chapter_Support_Materials.
Lots of good info there if you haven't read through it yet.

After that, if you don't want to do all the presenting or discussion
facilitation yourself, or have it all be done by local volunteers, you can
check out OWASP on the Move at
http://www.owasp.org/index.php/OWASP_on_the_Move. You can read about how to
get a speaker to come to your meeting. This usually requires some funding,
and if your chapter doesn't have very many OWASP Members (not chapter
members but OWASP Members, part of whose membership fee goes to their
designated chapter) you might not have much of a budget. Don't be afraid to
apply anyway, but also don't be afraid to ask people in your local area to
come and talk pro bono. It's also good for "regular people" who aren't
seasoned conference speakers to try giving a talk at a chapter meeting--they
and the attendees might like it a lot. And some chapter meeting attendees
(especially for a new chapter) don't mind simply coming to discuss their
perspectives on appsec and hear the same from others in their area. No
formality needed.

In the end it's really up to you how to organize your meeting(s). There are
tips on the website and some other leaders might have advice for you, but
don't be afraid to try new things and do it your own way.

I hope this helps motivate you and if you have any questions about the
chapter resources on owasp.org feel free to email
global_chapter_committee at lists.owasp.org.

Matt