[Owasp-leaders] OWASP Summit: Secure Coding Workshop: Update

dinis cruz dinis.cruz at owasp.org
Wed Jan 19 07:12:35 EST 2011

John (and others)

Can you make sure that all of the info below is on the Summit Track and
Working Sessions pages? (start here
http://www.owasp.org/index.php/Category:Summit_2011_OWASP_Secure_Coding_Workshop_Track
)

We have already a number of developers going to the Summit (and we need
more!!!!!) so ideally we should have a good first crowd to test this out.

In terms of planning, this is definitely a track that needs as much
pre-summit planning as possible. We need to allow the participants to
be aware/briefed of its concepts before they get there.

I also think you should add a 'planning working session' for this track
(which would basically be a 1h to 2h session the day-before, where the key
organizers of the multiple 'Secure Coding Workshop" Working Sessions will
figure out the action plan for the next day(s) )

Please also take into account that you most likely will not have all
attendees participating in all Working Sessions
http://www.owasp.org/index.php/Category:Summit_2011_OWASP_Secure_Coding_Workshop_Track
(I
expect a number of attendees to only participate in a couple (i.e. they will
be attending other Working Sessions)), so you will need to have a special
briefing document/stage for them

Finally, on the topic of
http://www.owasp.org/index.php/Category:Summit_2011_OWASP_Secure_Coding_Workshop_Track,
that page really needs some love :)

Dinis Cruz

On 12 January 2011 21:31, John Steven <John.Steven at owasp.org> wrote:

> All,
>
> I've begun working on this "Secure Coding" workshop idea in earnest.
> The trajectory attempted here:
>
> 1) Identify topics in which we can make immediate implementation progress
> 2) Identify facilitators & key participants to lead sessions
> 3) Work in a distributed fashion to set up 'topic objectives', 'kit',
> & 'skeleton'
>    programming tasks for each task.
> 4) Establish shared understanding of topics' & participate in each others'
>    sessions.
> 5) Debrief sessions at summit's-end & plan on-going conference track
>
> Several people beyond the set that can participate in person have
> expressed interest. As such, I'd prefer to reduce scope / length of
> this track as we near the summit date. A solid start that generates
> momentum for future conferences will be more beneficial, long term,
> than a flash in the pan that happens only once.
>
> By week's end, expect updated track documentation on the Summit Wiki
> regarding objectives, goals, rules of engagement, organizing
> facilitators, and related high-level topics.
>
> [Objective]
> The track seeks to add to OWASP's canon of "secure code" snippets. I'm
> setting things up to focus on snippets because I don't want to be
> encumbered by the size/maturity/"existing focuses" of ESAPI. If we
> create code that 1) get plugged into ESAPI or that 2) support ESAPI's
> adoption that's super but we don't want to set so a goal so high, or a
> goal that requires as much context and background as extending ESAPI
> requires. We will make a point of providing ESAPI value where it makes
> sense and "input validation"/AppSensor represent two targets we've
> already included focus on.
>
> Our goal will be to extend the practice of "building security into
> applications" without a preference for whether or not the application
> exists in a calcified form of maintenance or whether it's being
> developed in a green-field manner.
>
> As a guiding principal facilitators will drive participants to
> specif.  As such, we
> should encourage facilitators or their lieutenants to presey, implement,
> test, or support adoption of code that makes it

easier to build secure applications with respect to their topic area.
Where existing code exists within the topic area, we'll ask
participants to be at least conversationally familiar with existing
and applicable OWASP tools (such as ESAPI modules, CSRFGuard,
AppSensor, or <whatever>). Moving forward, I believe the track should
stick to this prerequisite a bit strictly but we may have to relax it
a tad for our first go-round (then again, we may not if the quality of