[Owasp-leaders] OWASP Core Values

Rex Booth rex.booth at owasp.org
Mon Jan 17 14:26:12 EST 2011

Bottom-up may work in some organizations where the leadership is able to
define the culture, but we're not in a position to make such definitions
in the population we're trying to influence.  Our target population is
essentially the entire IT world.

As I said below, I agree that a multi-faceted approach is necessary -
one where each component of our approach is built with a specific
audience and purpose in mind.

<warning: nested tangents following>

With that in mind, I think our organization of projects, content and
collateral  is too internally-oriented.
One of the elements missing from our project initiation template (as far
as I can tell) is an "intended audience".  Look at our wiki for a great
example.  Is the maturity status of a project really what first-time
visitors are going to care about?  Why don't we instead consider
organizing according to target audience?  Say something like executive,
auditor, developer?  Doing so would not only help first time visitors
quickly find what's most relevant to them, but also organize ourselves
along this multi-faceted approach and help us better understand where we
are focusing our efforts.

This speaks again to my earlier calls for OWASP to become more strategic
in everything it does.  From distribution of funds, to where to focus
project efforts, to where to focus geographically, we need to stop
thinking like some sort of grassroots organization and start focusing
our efforts where they will have the most impact.

Yes, our volunteers are grassroots, but that doesn't mean our
organization can't think and orient strategically.  Individual
contributions and thought leadership is still critical, but the board
(or some form of leadership) needs to step up and start providing
strategic guidance by prioritizing our projects, efforts and focus.

OWASP needs to move beyond a collection of projects and conferences, but
it won't do so without focused leadership.

</tangents>

Rex