[Owasp-leaders] OWASP Core Values

James McGovern JMcGovern at virtusa.com
Mon Jan 17 11:46:01 EST 2011

1.       Bottoms up does actually work in “some” organizations where the impediments of writing secure code have already been addressed through other channels. For example, in my past employer developers were given a certain portion of time where they could fix issues that they felt were important. In shops where everything is managed (in the negative sense) then the challenge of the developer doing the right thing is reduced.

2.       Gary McGraw acknowledged in the interview I did with him on the Cigital podcast that the people adopting BSIMM were all executives who came from a software development background. Sadly and increasingly, more and more people who run IT don’t come from a software development background and therefore other approaches may need to be employed. The work that we do that isn’t developer-focused appeals to those who may be auditors which is a role that won’t get you to the CIO slot. The gap here is one of not being able to think about finances and project management and a few projects that help folks out in this regard may be in order.

3.       I really hate debates on top-down vs. bottoms-up as it only demands someone to argue middle-out. With that being said, the distinction that may be important to noodle is that developers can remediate applications using frameworks but this doesn’t result in a sustainable approach. Likewise, a CIO can use all that audit stuff but only has a short lifespan which also doesn’t result in anything sustainable. The folks with the right agenda who are responsible for sustainability is the folks that do Enterprise Architecture and we have absolutely no offering for them.

James McGovern
http://twitter.com/McGovernTheory

Virtusa Corporation