[Owasp-leaders] OWASP Core Values

Yiannis Pavlosoglou yiannis at owasp.org
Sat Jan 15 22:14:05 EST 2011

Hi all,

I would like to discuss this idea of "open" a bit more; maybe this
list is not the right forum and perhaps we can talk about it in the
summit.

Here is a simple example: Does "open" justify my address and how many
kids I have being out on a media wiki, because I am part of owasp?

Now there isn't anything to hide in my inbox or voicemails or skype
conversations; quite sad industry reach out information is mostly what
you will find.

But at the same time we have a strong requirement (in industry at
least) to work with not so open organisations. Consequently the case
of signing an NDA as an individual comes up every so often. Now under
this facade of "openness", I have no way of sharing that with even
other industry members.

Ergo, we are pushing for an NDA in industry to have the ability to
communicate openly among ourselves. Not to mention an NDA is pretty
much standard practice in information security.

Just to clarify, this is not an attempt to make owasp "closed"; all
source code I have ever written is under GPL and all outputs in
industry are available to all. Still, if you call me for, say, Tobias
number from the IETF, I will check with them before passing that
information out.

Thus the request becomes, can we please be open about what we deliver
in web application security. Not minutes and meeting mp3s of catch-up
calls and itinerary information. Might even assist in raising quality
of output as well!

Is that too much to ask for?

Thank you,

Yiannis