[Owasp-leaders] The Gap Between OWASP and Developers

John Steven John.Steven at owasp.org
Wed Feb 23 07:31:47 EST 2011

All,

Prior to the first OWASP summit, I suggested to Dinis we needed to
make a change like Jeremiah describes. He agreed and suggested he'd
help fund anyone who I could convince to come. I actively lobbied my
clients to no avail. Since the first summit, we've all heard several
well-respected members of the OWASP community--who are not
vendors--lament how difficult it is for them to contribute. The
situation faced remains what it was and is simply:

----
There is no formal conduit through which the participation of
commercial entities and their employees feel comfortable contributing
while protecting their organization's privacy, intellectual property,
and employment.
----

Some organizations and their employees can participate without such a
formal conduit, and that's great. Others will not be able to. I
imagine we want to actively include those who are currently precluded,
even in a first such attempt at outreach for greater involvement.
Something Joe, Tom, and other representatives from commercial entities
and I have talked about is establishing some 'ground rules' for
working with these reluctant organizations. Ground rules would need to
address the issues I described in the breakout above.

Failing to make progress on this issue is likely going to cause the
same deja vu feeling in the broader leader's list that it's doing for
me now. I think this is a 'non-starter' situation.

If someone from the Industry committee is willing to take lead on this
effort and produce a draft, I'd be happy to push it to my contacts in
industry and act as intermediary so that they could anonymously
improve it for our use.

-jOHN