[Owasp-leaders] The myth of the OWASP board

Eoin eoin.keary at owasp.org
Fri Feb 18 07:22:13 EST 2011

Indeed OWASP has "Grown up" and now needs to "Grow out"

As I keep saying/ranting, the power of OWASP is in the committees, power to
the people!!

The board (my humble view):

The board has some focus on budget and to apply some "glue" to the overall
ecosystem but glue simply is to serve a purpose, to assist and serve, to
listen and to arbitrate and to help be fair and impartial. The board is also
to protect OWASP from vested interests, protect the brand and to manage the
limited funds such that all committees have an equal say in how we can
leverage the cash we have. Our core values and purpose need to be adhered to
also which is a board responsibility I believe.

To echo Jim Manico, the board needs to focus on fund raising so we can fund
and "productize" our tools, projects and guides etc.
To do this we need potential sponsors.corporate members to understand why
should they give OWASP some of their dollars.

Relevance of OWASP:

It seems to be easy to get consultancy/solution vendors to be corporate
members of OWASP as it is nice to say "OWASP corporate member" when
developing proposals and winning work, which I don't see an issue with and
actually condone it as it helps our message.

It is currently more difficult to get non industry players (Banks, Energy,
Health care, Gov) to donate/join as they still ask "What can OWASP do for
me?" - We need to listen to people with real application security issues
resulting in financial/regulatory/personal impact.

We need release quality product (maybe with limited support and a paid
support model also?) to enable adoption by industry. (Industry: groups with
actual issues relating to application security, real problems which need to
be solved.)
Solving such problems WILL change the face of the Internet or "raise the
game".

Key to OWASP survival and growth is to become relevant to industry, address
common issues faced by Internet users rather than looking inward. Enable
real quality tools to assess these issues but the only way to fix the plague
of web application insecurity is to address the root cause and look at
preventative medicine - Education, Secure SDL, Secure code, Awareness,
Relevance of our work to real issues, Address the symptoms but also
eradicate the spread of the disease.

(I needed to get this off my chest)

-ek

--