[Owasp-leaders] Fwd: Your message to Global_chapter_committee awaits moderator approval

Matthew Chalmers matthew.chalmers at owasp.org
Thu Feb 17 17:22:57 EST 2011

I understand where you're coming from, but in practice there are a couple of
kinds. One would be, as I mentioned, the owasp.org homepage and certain
other pages like the Jobs page. I don't have an Edit link...and it's
probably not a bad idea to keep certain pages restricted. To your point,
perhaps I could request edit access...but it's not clear who has the
authority to grant the access (regardless who might have the ability). Also
off-site pages like
https://www.regonline.com/builder/site/Default.aspx?EventID=919827 are
probably not suited for general editability, and in fact if it's owned by a
committee I may be specifically excluded from helping no matter how much I
want to. I've heard that it's simply not allowed to serve on two committees.
Also there are probably certain things that OWASP employees are supposed to
take care of that general OWASP volunteers shouldn't 'help' with...although
it's unclear to me what these things are exactly. One might be mailing
lists. Like I mentioned they're all configured differently and some owners
probably don't really know how to configure them, but only the owner can do
it. Also, some are hidden, like the Board list. Because I know how mailman
works I was able to request a subscription but it's awaiting owner approval
and I suspect I won't be allowed because it's a 'sacred cow'. It's a fine
line we walk between radical openness and being able to discuss
board/committee matters confidentially.

I am interested in hearing others' viewpoints.

-chalmers