[Owasp-leaders] Owasp Inquiry on "Cenzic patent on 'Fault injection methods and apparatus' "

Dan Cornell dan at denimgroup.com
Thu Feb 17 12:19:05 EST 2011

I'm not sure it is the OWASP organization's place to tell companies how to handle what they believe are their intellectual property rights.  The "O" in OWASP stands for "Open" but that applies to everything _we_ do.  I believe OWASP is better off leading by example and showing the benefits of openness rather than beating up on organizations for their non-OWASP activities.  Otherwise we might as well open up "OWASP Inquiries" on IBM, Microsoft, HP and a variety of other OWASP-supporting organizations that all have patents, trademarks, copyrights, etc that they feel the need to enforce from time to time.  Doing this crosses the line from "Raymond" to "Stallman" and, though I respect all of Richard Stallman's work, OWASP, to me, has always been more of an Open Source organization rather than a Free Software organization.

That said, from the limited information I have seen on this issue, I (Dan Cornell the person, not a representative of Denim Group, not the OWASP Membership Committee Chair) think the whole business with Cenzic is silly and stifling and bad for the discipline of application security.  Everybody gets 24 hours in their day and I'm not sure why anyone would devote any of their 24 to chasing after this mess rather than developing new features, talking to customers, etc.  But that's _my_ opinion and I'm not sure "OWASP" should even get to have an opinion unless OWASP materials are involved.

Thanks,

Dan