[Owasp-leaders] Fwd: Stepping down as Board Member

Chris Schmidt chris.schmidt at owasp.org
Mon Feb 14 11:23:26 EST 2011

All ­ I have fought the urge to jump on this thread all morning, but I want
to point out one really important thing here.

There needs to be a clear and distinct understanding of what the
responsibilities of board members are. I think that it is the job of the
Projects Committee to address a lot of Johns specific complaints here (and I
am in the process of joining said committee in an effort to bolster momentum
to address a lot of these issues)

My personal opinion is that the board should be a panel of experienced
businessmen who know how to make an organization grow and understand the
business needs of organizations. OWASP is not meant to be a Top-Down Org,
and I don¹t think that model works at all for the majority of people that
contribute to OWASP in any fashion. We should be encouraging the inventors,
researchers, developers, technical writers, analysts, and chapter leaders to
all keep bringing everything they can to the organization and in no way
limit their ability to function as individuals or small groups ­ however, we
also need standards and policies that are designed for the betterment of the
organization as a whole. I don¹t think it matters if the people who sit on
the board are coders or if they are highly advanced evangelist aliens ­ the
point is that it is the boards responsibility to further the organization as
whole and the responsibilities of the committees and project leaders to
direct the content of the organization.  It is also a primary responsibility
of the committees to present the details of matters being brought to the
board in a manner that outlines the details of the matter in a way that is
not biased and also is understandable by not only the board but the entire
OWASP community. The Board should not have to dive deep into a matter to
make a decision ­ the committees need to be providing the board with the
information they need to make those decisions.

Basically I equivicate it to this ­ Having worked in software development
for the last 6 years and hardware maintenance prior to that ­ given the
choice, I would much rather have my boss manage the people and let my best
developers write the code.

I think that the existing board members (and Dinis) have absolutely
demonstrated that ability both within and without OWASP ­ and I think that
the same should be expected of any new board members. Generally speaking, I
think it is a bad idea for board members to become so involved in the inner
workings of particular projects that it distracts them from their duties as
board members.

I will have a long and detailed blog posting about my greater feelings about
this, as well as detailed examples and thoughts sometime this week.

Chris Schmidt
ESAPI Project Manager (http://www.esapi.org)
ESAPI4JS Project Owner (http://bit.ly/9hRTLH)
Blog: http://yet-another-dev.blogspot.com