[Owasp-leaders] Fwd: Stepping down as Board Member

James McGovern JMcGovern at virtusa.com
Mon Feb 14 12:14:52 EST 2011

There are people who don't write code on a daily or even weekly basis
but can still provide immense value. I would propose that the OWASP
board in some ways mirror the typical IT organization at large as a way
of attracting interest through multiple lenses. When I started in IT in
1983 (High School working for Cigna), 95% of all IT professionals knew
how to code. Nowadays, if you get 25% then you are in a world-class
organization that I would love to work for.

If OWASP for example, had an IT auditor on board, could they provide
guidance as to how the audit community could embrace OWASP principles
and practices? If OWASP had someone from the PMP community on board,
could they help find better ways of planning for security as part of the
project lifecycle instead of watching it be continually be shortcutted
by developers? If OWASP had a famous CIO on board, could they explain to
other CIOs how to build security in using their vocabulary instead of
that of developers?

Code or no coding is a fascinating lens to see things through. I tend to
think in terms of what does it take to secure an ecosystem from
conception to retirement which requires more than just code..

James McGovern
http://twitter.com/McGovernTheory