[Owasp-leaders] Mailing list -> Forum

William Stranathan will at thestranathans.com
Wed Feb 9 14:09:59 EST 2011

Jerry:

I think the forums are more searchable, but in the case of "barely active" chapters, people aren't constantly going back to the forums to check for new activity.  I think that if it's to be done, it must support mailing of all activity to folks.  Our fledgling little chapter is trying to get off the ground right now, so there's not a great deal of volume on the list yet - if we transfer that to a web-only forum, the general behavior would be 'noting new, nothing new, nothing new - well nothing new for three days, - I won't go back there again".

Will Stranathan

On 2011 Feb 8, at 21:23 PM, Jerry Hoff wrote:

> Hi Leaders,
>
> I'm writing to put forth an idea that has been floating around OWASP for
> a while, but needs to be implemented. The move from email list -> owasp
> forum.  Although the mailing lists are published, I think the general
> consensus is that the archives are:
>
> 1) hard to find (in some cases you can only access them via forced browsing)
> 2) definitely not user-friendly for searching
>
> A move to a forum will build a stronger OWASP community (hopefully),
> allow for greater transparency among the various chapters, committees
> and the board, and will give new members a place to come and more easily
> interact with the other members of the OWASP community.   It would leave
> searchable record of all the collective OWASP security wisdom in one
> place.
>
> So does anyone have any strong opinions on the future of
> forum.owasp.org?  Larry Casey has generously offered to set it up, and I
> think it would be a huge plus for the community.  As Michael Coates
> suggested, we could then start gradually migrating particular volunteer
> groups as a beta, and if it works out, we can ultimately migrate more
> mailing lists over to a forum.
>
> We can also port the existing mail lists archives into the forum, for
> historical purposes.
>
> This would give a centralized home for all the regional chapters,
> committees, projects, conferences and the board.
>
> So leaders, what say you?
>
> Jerry Hoff

-- coleslaw