[Owasp-leaders] Mailing list -> Forum

Jason Li jason.li at owasp.org
Wed Feb 9 06:28:07 EST 2011

Honestly, I don't think we need a room full of 30 people in a dynamic
working session to debate and decide.

Online forums have obvious attractive benefits that open the community to
new people.

Mailing lists are obviously the way most OWASP leaders consume OWASP
announcements, discussions and traffic.

What we need (and have needed) is a solution that transparently integrates
both.

Now if we want to have a dynamic slot where we get 30 people in a room to
actually sit down and code up the solution, *that* would be valuable.

But really, a dynamic working session would just reproduce what we created
at the last Summit - a statement of action resolving to implement forums
(which I'm pasting here for historical purposes):

Summit 2008 WebsIte Working Session Resolutions

#2) Add Integrated Forums to Mailing Lists

Explanation:

Integrate a web forum for existing mailing list in such a way that any post
to a forum is distributed to the mailing list, and any email sent to the
list is distributed to the forum.  This initiative will NOT represent any
change to those that prefer to keep using mailing lists; it merely provides
an easier opportunity for more people to contribute and participate. There
are many existing products that can accomplish this and the implementation
details will be left others.

Rationale:

Not every OWASP participant is mailing list saavy. For example, the current
mailing list archives do not provide a user-friendly way to following old or
active discussions. An integrated forum opens the community to more
participants without disrupting the way members currently use the mailing
list. Additionally, message forums can easily highlight important or active
discussions allowing users to easily track the most relevant threads.

-Jason