[Owasp-leaders] OWASP Marketing

Tom Brennan tomb at owasp.org
Fri Dec 9 12:01:41 EST 2011

" OWASP has no budget to pay Google for this." that is not completely accurate.... (I had a flash back to the Independence Day Movie with Will Smith, when they told the President about Aliens and Area 51 research)

 -- a campaign around ads can be as low as .05 for each keyword associated with the AD (see below for the cost of some of them) hence the projects can use there budgets for this kind of awareness via marketing if they like and so could chapters using targeted regional ads.

https://spreadsheets.google.com/a/owasp.org/pub?key=0Atu4kyR3ljftdF9aZkY0YjRFcmNBY21OaWo3djdkUXc&hl=en&output=html   <--- there is money here

Putting a little effort in with our peers in the SEO community and our 2012 plans for website updates they could help out on the effort -- there is at least 5-6 folks on this list including me in our community that focus on type of efforts. Take a look at www.google.com and search on OWASP Top 10 as a example, today people are using these search terms to drive traffic

The account is set-up at adwords already, integrated with our OWASP backoffice system and googleapps below is a example of what Google recommends quickly for key words

Keyword
Competition
Global Monthly Searches
Local Monthly Searches (United States)