[Owasp-leaders] Cooperation with security-related events

Mark Bristow mark.bristow at owasp.org
Wed Aug 31 10:34:50 EDT 2011

Wojciech,

The Global Conferences Committee is working on additional documentation in
this area for rules of engagement however there is a current process to vett
these types of requests as they can be very unique and individual.  If you
want to coordinate a co-marketing agreement with another event, the first
consideration is if the "target" organizations core values line up with
OWASPs.  They do not necessarily need to be as open as OWASP but, for
example we do not regularly partner with for-profit entities.  If the
organization/event meets this basic litmus test, the next step is to enter
the event into the OWASP Conference Management System (
https://ocms.owasp.org) as a partner event for consideration and approval by
the Global Conferences Committee.  There is a space to provide the terms of
the partnership (co-marketing responsibilities et all) and the committee
will usually ask some questions (via embedded comments) and then vote on the
event.

In the future we are working to establish more "rules" in this area but for
the time being are considering events on a case-by-case basis.  We are also
working on blanket co-marketing agreements with larger organizations.  The
first of these is with ISSA and is in the final stages of signature.

Regards,
-Mark

--
Mark Bristow