[Owasp-leaders] Rackspace, Migration, Stepping down

Chris Schmidt chris.schmidt at owasp.org
Wed Aug 17 19:15:59 EDT 2011

I echo both Jason's thoughts here and Arturo's. We need at least 1
person from several different timezones/regions so that *no one* has to
be woken up in the middle of the night.

I would be worthwhile to get this all planned out now so that those
people can be part of the migration effort and we can ensure that things
get setup in a manner that everyone understands.

I understand and respect Larry's position here, as I was in a similar
position at my last employer - providing production support because I
knew how and not being recognized or compensated for doing so - this is
fine every once in a while, but when there are serious communication
issues about what is happening and people begin to expect you to do it
free of charge and just put up with whatever they throw at you; well -
frankly that gets a little old.

That being said, let's see if we can't put together a solid group of
people to take this task on and form an IT support *group* that can
share the burden rather than placing it squarely on the shoulders of 1
or 2 that are willing to do so right now.

On 8/17/2011 5:09 PM, Arturo 'Buanzo' Busleiman wrote:
> Larry rules.
>
> Having said that, we can't have ONE administrator. I step up to assist
in this task. I'm mostly in
> US/Argentinian time zones. We need someone to cover 2 or 3 other
timezones.

> Good words Jason.
>
> On 08/17/2011 07:54 PM, Jason Li wrote:
> > Leaders,
>
> > Last month there was a huge uproar about the need for OWASP to
respect its leaders.

> > I would like to bring to the community's attention a situation that
has existed for far too long,
> > where one of our greatest contributors has not been given due
respect. In fact, I find that far too
> > often, he is disrespected in the community.
>
> > Larry Casey has contributed an enormous amount to the success of
OWASP - contributions that go
> > largely unnoticed until something goes wrong.
>
> > There is a lot of confusion over his role at OWASP and I would like
to share the facts as far I know
> > them.
>
> > Larry has spent the last several years serving as the *volunteer*
administrator of OWASP's
> > infrastructure. While OWASP has paid for the hardware, the bandwidth,
etc, the actual task of
> > administrating has been largely performed on a volunteer basis.
>
> > Every time the OWASP site is down, it pains me to see the rapid flux
of messages to the Leader's
> > List saying "OWASP Site is Down" followed by the inevitable floods of
"Me too!" "Me three!" " Me
> > five hundred thousand!". Larry has abandoned personal events and
plans in the past to attend to
> > these outages as soon as possible - and we are not paying him to do
that!

> > OWASP has paid Larry directly for graphic design work in the past -
but in terms of basic system
> > administrative tasks, Larry has selflessly devoted countless hours of
his time to keeping OWASP
> > alive and well.
>
> > When was the last time you've heard of a Board member, a Committee
member, a project leader or a
> > chapter leader dropping whatever they were doing to attend to
something for OWASP?

> > And yet we as a community somehow *expect* this of Larry.
>
> > It is no wonder that he has been trying to step down since ***JULY
2009***
> > (https://www.owasp.org/index.php/OWASP_Board_Meeting_July_09).
>
> > In that time, many people have raised their hand to volunteer to
help. In fact, Larry invested some
> > significant time setting up the supporting infrastructure to properly
segregate and delegate
> > administrative privileges for those folks. But no one has actually
committed to following through
> > when the going gets tough.
>
> > And I don't blame them!
>
> > We are all volunteers here at OWASP - I certainly don't want my phone
ringing at 3AM on a Saturday
> > with a message from the community complaining that the web site is
down. I certainly don't want
> > messages in my mailbox from random leaders impatiently asking when
this will be setup, or that will
> > be finished, or this can be done. I certainly don't want to bear the
brunt of criticism while
> > receiving none of the praise associated with administering the OWASP
website and infrastructure.

> > It's easy to be a volunteer systems administrator when there's
nothing going wrong --- it all
> > practically runs itself!
>
> > But when things do go wrong, through no fault of anyone, Larry has
been the *only* volunteer willing
> > to take the task by the reigns and work the grind to make sure the
site goes back up in a *timely*
> > manner (believe it or not, our uptime is actually *very* good because
outages are infrequent and
> > attended to quickly).
>
> > It is because Larry loves OWASP that he continues to do the job
behind the scenes despite his
> > expressed desire NOT to be saddled with the *responsibility* that
comes with being a systems
> > administrator.
>
> > Larry is one of the few people at OWASP that I feel truly understands
that being an OWASP leader
> > comes with a *responsibility*. While other leaders miss meetings and
skip deadlines, Larry has
> > always executed the *responsibility* of maintaining our
infrastructure. We leaders can only hope to
> > follow that example in our roles.
>
> > I feel we are grossly underestimating the value that Larry has
provided in terms of systems
> > administration. I question whether we can find a volunteer that is
willing to *commit* to the same
> > level, responding to outages in a timely manner even in the middle of
personal events.

> > For that level of service, we probably need to pay someone. In fact,
we probably should have been
> > paying Larry all along for the emergency administration services he
provides.

> > I see that several leaders have exclaimed their desire to see Larry
continue on in his role. I too
> > would be sad to see Larry go. We at OWASP have done a *terrible* job
of showing Larry the respect he
> > deserves and I am truly sorry that he feels the need to move on.
>
> > I hope that as a community, we can determine a way to properly
recognize Larry for his contributions
> > and show him the respect he deserves - whether that respect is
through compensating him fairly for
> > his contributions that go far beyond what we can expect of a
volunteer, or by simply respecting his
> > wish to step aside.
>
> > -Jason
>
> > On Wed, Aug 17, 2011 at 6:12 PM, Laurence Casey <larry.casey at owasp.org
> > <mailto:larry.casey at owasp.org>> wrote:
>
> > Leaders,____
>
> > __ __
>
> > I would like to thank everyone who I’ve net over the years both in
person and via email only. It
> > has come the time for me to move on to other projects. ____
>
> > __ __
>
> > The contract is just about done for Rackspace, so here is the plan.____
>
> > __ __
>
> > __1. __Migrate OWASP’s wiki to the new hosted environment.____
>
> > __2. __Migrate OWASP’s Ads to the new hosted environment.____
>
> > __3. __Migrate OWASP Rugged Code to the new hosted environment.____
>
> > __4. __Migrate OWASP’s email list content to the new hosted
environment. ____

> > __ __
>
> > Once OWASP is relocated to its new home, OWASP will need to find
another administrator to manage