[Owasp-leaders] Rackspace, Migration, Stepping down

Arturo 'Buanzo' Busleiman buanzo at buanzo.com.ar
Wed Aug 17 19:09:23 EDT 2011

Larry rules.

Having said that, we can't have ONE administrator. I step up to assist in this task. I'm mostly in
US/Argentinian time zones. We need someone to cover 2 or 3 other timezones.

Good words Jason.

On 08/17/2011 07:54 PM, Jason Li wrote:
> Leaders,
>
> Last month there was a huge uproar about the need for OWASP to respect its leaders.
>
> I would like to bring to the community's attention a situation that has existed for far too long,
> where one of our greatest contributors has not been given due respect. In fact, I find that far too
> often, he is disrespected in the community.
>
> Larry Casey has contributed an enormous amount to the success of OWASP - contributions that go
> largely unnoticed until something goes wrong.
>
> There is a lot of confusion over his role at OWASP and I would like to share the facts as far I know
> them.
>
> Larry has spent the last several years serving as the *volunteer* administrator of OWASP's
> infrastructure. While OWASP has paid for the hardware, the bandwidth, etc, the actual task of
> administrating has been largely performed on a volunteer basis.
>
> Every time the OWASP site is down, it pains me to see the rapid flux of messages to the Leader's
> List saying "OWASP Site is Down" followed by the inevitable floods of "Me too!" "Me three!" " Me
> five hundred thousand!". Larry has abandoned personal events and plans in the past to attend to
> these outages as soon as possible - and we are not paying him to do that!
>
> OWASP has paid Larry directly for graphic design work in the past - but in terms of basic system
> administrative tasks, Larry has selflessly devoted countless hours of his time to keeping OWASP
> alive and well.
>
> When was the last time you've heard of a Board member, a Committee member, a project leader or a
> chapter leader dropping whatever they were doing to attend to something for OWASP?
>
> And yet we as a community somehow *expect* this of Larry.
>
> It is no wonder that he has been trying to step down since ***JULY 2009***
> (https://www.owasp.org/index.php/OWASP_Board_Meeting_July_09).
>
> In that time, many people have raised their hand to volunteer to help. In fact, Larry invested some
> significant time setting up the supporting infrastructure to properly segregate and delegate
> administrative privileges for those folks. But no one has actually committed to following through
> when the going gets tough.
>
> And I don't blame them!
>
> We are all volunteers here at OWASP - I certainly don't want my phone ringing at 3AM on a Saturday
> with a message from the community complaining that the web site is down. I certainly don't want
> messages in my mailbox from random leaders impatiently asking when this will be setup, or that will
> be finished, or this can be done. I certainly don't want to bear the brunt of criticism while
> receiving none of the praise associated with administering the OWASP website and infrastructure.
>
> It's easy to be a volunteer systems administrator when there's nothing going wrong --- it all
> practically runs itself!

> [...]

- --
? Arturo "Buanzo" Busleiman ? - http://soundcloud.com/no-carrier -
Independent Linux and Security Consultant - 16+y of IT exp. at your service .
OWASPer - http://www.buanzo.com.ar/pro/eng.html                             ..: