[Owasp-leaders] We truly need help! :) FW: OWASP Keynote Videos from Chapters

Paulo Coimbra pcoimbra at owasp.org
Wed Aug 17 12:45:15 EDT 2011

Leaders,

A couple of weeks ago I've sent you the email below but unfortunately had
very low feedback. I imagine how scarce your spare cycles must be but I also
know from previous experience how generously you respond when someone here
genuinely calls for help. So that is the situation. We need to make sure the
celebration of the 10th anniversary of OWASP at AppSecUSA is a memorable
thing and so your collaboration is absolutely indispensable. Please read the
email below from Mark Curphey and see if you can assist him in pulling
together videos from the OWASP community.

I thank you in advance, please do not hesitate and do use me as facilitator
if you think I can be of any help.

Regards,
- Paulo

Paulo Coimbra
OWASP Project Manager <https://www.owasp.org/index.php/User:Paulo_Coimbra>

From:  Paulo Coimbra <pcoimbra at owasp.org>
Date:  Wed, 03 Aug 2011 18:16:29 +0100
To:  <owasp-leaders at lists.owasp.org>
Subject:  FW: OWASP Keynote Videos from Chapters

Leaders,

Mark Curphey has requested me to send you off the message below. I believe
what he is asking for is important and so I also ask you to please find the
cycles to read his relatively long email and to support his plan as much as
you can. Please do not hesitate and do use me as facilitator if you think I
can be of any help.

Thanks,
- Paulo

Paulo Coimbra,
OWASP Project Manager

From:  mark curphey <mark at curphey.com>
Date:  Tue, 2 Aug 2011 21:44:47 -0700
To:  Paulo Coimbra <pcoimbra at owasp.org>
Cc:  Dinis Cruz <dinis.cruz at owasp.org>, Jason Li <jason.li at owasp.org>
Subject:  Re: OWASP Keynote Videos from Chapters

That is awesome. So here is an email I would love for you to be able to send
on my behalf.

Hi,

About 10 years ago I seeded an idea in a few peoples minds which has grown
into the OWASP you all know today.  I am lucky enough to be doing the
keynote celebrating the 10th anniversary of OWASP at AppSecUSA (and btw
happy to deliver the same talk to others around the world, schedules
permitting) and I am asking for your help. The theme of my talk will be
"Community the Killer App" in which I will reflect on how the OWASP
community has organized and mobilized online and in person. In my talk I
plan to use a series of videos from both well known technology people and a
set of videos from the OWASP community itself. I need your help in pulling
together videos from the OWASP community from the Chapters you run.
Specifically I am looking for two things:

1. Personal stories - I know that over the years OWASP has affected many
people personally. I have heard stories about people who found the project
and went back to higher education as a result of it, I have heard stories
about people that have started companies in software security after getting
inspired by OWASP, heard about people that learned appsec in India and gone
on to get very well paid jobs in the US based on their skills and I have
heard about people earning a living based on OWASP material. I have heard
about OWASP teams working to help charities get secure and so on. I would
love to be able to share a few of these stories. The more interesting the
story the better and the more global or humble in nature the better. Its
amazing set of people and I want to hear from the amazing. I am asking you
as chapter leaders to help me find those stories by contacting your chapters
or talking to your members and working with me to record a short video
message from them that I can use in my talk.

2. Chapters Around the World - I want to put together a quick collage of
video messages from chapters around the world. The idea will be to do a
short visit to all the countries where OWASP has a presence and get a quick
hello message from each chapter. I am asking for each chapter leader to work
with me on a short video message of your chapter saying "hello from the XXX
OWASP chapter" in your native language. We have chapters in amazing
locations around the world so if anyone will get creative and record your
message in-front of global landmarks (Athens and the Acropolis as an
example, Dubai by the Jumeriah, Sydney by the Opera house of Harbor bridge
etc) all the better but you can't organize a landmark video then simply a
message from your local chapter meeting will be great as well.  Line them
all up, have them all shout "hello from the XXX OWASP chapter" in their
native language and I will then edit these videos together to get a montage
that will show the sheer global diversity and reach of the OWASP Project.

I am also interested in any video material people have of chapter activity
that I can edit into the film clip. Maybe people have done socials, beers
nights, go-kart events etc.

I will accept any video formats (I will be editing with Final Cut on OSX)
but the better quality the video and the more creative the better. If you
can help me (and I really hope ALL chapters will come through on this) you
can send me an email directly and I will invite you to a drop box to upload
your video and we can discuss dates. I will need all videos by the first
week in September at the very latest!

Please, please help me create what I think can be some compelling videos
messages from the people that really make OWASP what it is. The community,
thats you!

Thank you and cheers!

Mark