[Owasp-leaders] Chapter Leader Update

Tom Brennan tomb at owasp.org
Wed Aug 17 11:01:31 EDT 2011

Item #2 should be promoted more on the http://www.appsecusa.org website as well as the other committee meetings, can you try to add it to the http://www.appsecusa.org/schedule.html listing so people can see what is going on and when.

item #1 communication is a bigger issue.  OWASP has a silo communication issue at the moment. You have chapters that have  "chapter leaders" that are completely in the dark concerning communication on the owasp-leaders mailing list.  Since this is the primary mechanism used to reach them we need to ENCOURAGE it in both the chapter leader handbook as well as the process for chapters.  I'll use one example to make my point:  https://lists.owasp.org/mailman/listinfo/owasp-China-Mainland  however there are more than 50+ in the same boat.  Funny thing was hearing that during Blackhat from "chapter leaders" that came to the owasp booth that were asking how to get on the owasp-leaders list...   Further, the chapter leader(s) should take care of this process and administration of it not you.  We really don't need to burning your per hr contractor rate to do such administrative tasks that ultimately can be changed by any of the chapter administrators and needs to be in the chapter handbook.