[Owasp-leaders] Indemnity

David dmalloc at users.sourceforge.net
Wed Aug 10 11:12:58 EDT 2011

Hello.

Just one point to be made, then I shall return to quietly observing.

> I have to say this is an unreasonable request and it is not related to Americans trying to control everything.

I do not believe this to be unreasonable at all. Many professional associations in Europe do this. The devil is in the detail where the membership clauses usually quite clearly identify that anything which is immoral or illegal can land the member in jail because the institution will sue that individual for any damages brought forward against itself or its members.

I understand that this is much more of an issue in the United States where laws are unfortunate and you can sue for ridiculous sums of money, however the principle behind it is sound. OWASP as a whole should protect its members in the best way possible and that includes potential liability brought forward against a member as a part of their work. Which could be quite viable, legal research. I am sure that clever lawyers can find a way to limit liability protection on anything that goes against OWASPS statues.

Thanks

-d