[Owasp-leaders] Indemnity

Abraham Kang abraham.kang at owasp.org
Wed Aug 10 11:04:54 EDT 2011

Hi Christian,

I was part of the group which put together the revised bylaws.

I have gone to Law school.  The following is NOT legal advise but an
academic explanation of how indemnity usually works under corporations law.

Most companies have an indemnity clause in their bylaws because officers and
directors have a fiduciary duty to the company.  A fiduciary duty entails a
Duty of Loyalty and Duty of Care.

A duty of loyalty requires officers and directors to place the interests of
the organization above their own.  This implies that officers and directors
cannot usurp opportunities for themselves which could have be taken by the
organization unless notifying non-interested directors and getting approval
or if the organization would not be able to avail itself of the opportunity.
 If an officer or director breaches this duty they can be sued.  However,
the indemnity will only apply when the officer or director does not have an
adverse ruling against him/her in the proceeding.  If the officer or
director is found to have acted in bad faith they, individually, he/she will
be responsible for paying their attorney's fees (no indemnity and
accountability).

An officer and director also has a duty of care to manage the business of
the company as a prudent officer/director.  If they breach this duty, they
could be sued.  Again, the function of indemnity will usually apply when the
officer or director is found to have acted reasonably.  If the officer or
director is found to have acted in bad faith they, individually, will be
responsible for paying their attorney's fees(no indemnity and
accountability).

Members do not have a fiduciary duty to the organization per se.  However,
if a member is acting as an agent of the organization and the organization
has held the agent out as representing the organization or acknowledged the
agency relationship then the organization will be liable for the member's
actions (indemnity).  An example of agency would be were members set up
conferences like AppSec USA and sign contracts for the venue, food,
services, etc. on behalf of OWASP.  So there is indemnity of members in
certain cases.

But requiring OWASP to indemnify all of its members would be a tremendous
legal burden. Especially if the member is not acting as an agent for OWASP.
 This would open OWASP to potential liability for actions that any member
partakes (hacking government institutions, negligence, as well as other
criminal and civil torts).

I have to say this is an unreasonable request and it is not related to
Americans trying to control everything.

I attended this year's OWASP leadership conference in Lisbon, Portugal.
 This conference was not held in the states.  And although it was a pain
flying to Europe from the US I think we had good representation of members
outside of the US for leadership purposes.  This shows that OWASP is
globally centric and not US centric.

Come guys, OWASP wants to support and reach out to the world.

Regards,
Abraham Kang