[Owasp-leaders] Proposed funding for the OWASP project

Jason Li jason.li at owasp.org
Thu Sep 23 00:32:18 EDT 2010

Przemyslaw,

Are you asking about a mechanism by which a company can provide funding? Or
rules governing such a donation?

In terms of a vehicle to provide such funding, we have a mechanism that is
currently in place to accept PayPal donations to the OWASP Foundation. This
mechanism can be used to be direct funds donated to the OWASP Foundation
towards a specific OWASP Chapter or Project. The GPC can work with Kate and
Alison to make sure that your project is the recipient of the funds once you
have established your project.

In terms of rules governing such a donation, the company would be subject to
the same guidelines as any OWASP Sponsor - namely that such a donation does
not give them any benefit to use the OWASP name, but I believe they would
get placement on our sponsors page (see
http://www.owasp.org/index.php/Membership). Someone from the OWASP
Membership or Industry committee can verify.

Traditionally, project sponsorships have been granted through OWASP's Season
of Code. That grant process has redirected the use of Season of Code funds
to pay for expenses outside the OWASP community (e.g. marketing, graphic
design, etc) (see
http://www.owasp.org/index.php/OWASP_Season_of_Code_2009#Strategic_Focus).
As your project sponsorship would fall outside of the Season of Code grant
system, I'm not sure if this limitation would apply to your project - that's
something we at the GPC will have to bring up to the Board.

-Jason
Global Projects Committee