[Owasp-leaders] Reaching developers = cooperative hackathons

James McGovern JMcGovern at virtusa.com
Tue Sep 7 09:48:50 EDT 2010

Increasingly, software development is going offshore (at least in the
United States) and therefore it is incumbent upon OWASP to not just
target developers, but to reach other demographics of IT professionals
in terms of outreach.  The Hartford chapter has had success in reaching
out to ISACA and doing a joint meeting.  As a profession, auditors also
want to mature their discipline and at some level have been struggling
to understand why their audit criteria isn't preventing modern-day
attacks. OWASP is best positioned to help them think about better audit
policies and to move beyond silliness of auditing for clean-desk
policies, whether a developer has all of their number two pencils
sharpened or other meaningless constructs. If you can show an auditor
that there are simple things they can do to measure security such as
making sure every project adheres to the OWASP Top Ten and
organizational maturity around SAMM, then we can move the needle in an
even bigger way.

We can also agree that many of the successful attacks aren't really
caused by coding mistakes of developers, but really can be attributed to
suboptimal architecture decisions made by some architect who threw a
design over the wall without understanding the ramifications of their
choices. What if we collectively thought of a Top Ten list for
Architects to consider when designing software...

James McGovern
Insurance SBU

Virtusa Corporation

100 Northfield Drive, Suite 305 | Windsor, CT | 06095

Phone:  860 688 9900 Ext:  1037 | Facsimile:  860 688 2890

  <http://www.virtusa.com/>    <http://www.virtusa.com/blog/>
<https://twitter.com/VirtusaCorp>
<http://www.linkedin.com/companies/virtusa>
<http://www.facebook.com/VirtusaCorp>