[Owasp-leaders] Reaching developers = cooperative hackathons

John Wilander john.wilander at owasp.org
Mon Sep 6 03:32:04 EDT 2010

2010/9/6 Jeff Williams <jeff.williams at owasp.org>

>  This is a really cool idea.  Would be great to reach out to a bunch of
> open source projects and offer them free time to work side-by-side with some
> application security experts.  We could do some adhoc testing of their
> software, teach them how to find vulnerabilities, and work with them on
> defending against the T10 and more with some strong security controls.
>

> Great idea – even though I’d prefer not to call this a “hackathon” J   How
> about a “bootcamp” or something positive?

We actually only had the name "Community Hack" which for me is positive and
exactly what we do – hack for the community. It was the FOSSers who
introduced us to their established term "hackathon".

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hackathon:
"A hackathon, a hacker neologism, is an event when programmers meet to do
collaborative computer programming. These events are typically between
several days and a week in length. A hackathon refers not simply to one time
hacks, but to a specific time when many people come together to hack on what
they want to, how they want to - with little to no restrictions on direction
or goal of the programming."

   Regards, John

--
John Wilander