[Owasp-leaders] Question on OWASP Demographics

Neil Smithline neil.smithline at owasp.org
Tue Oct 26 10:35:17 EDT 2010

James,

I know I'm going out on a limb, but this is my first posting to
owasp-leaders so I figure I may as well go for all or nothing :-)

I think the "marketing-oriented types" asked the wrong question. If we
various media types all focused on app security. In that model, what
does a marketing type care about who is doing the publishing, editing,
or writing. What a marketing type cares about is what is the
demographics of the publications.

I think that if we sell sponsorships based on our memberships, we're
limited to pure app security types. But if we sell sponsorship based on
our distribution, it is entirely different.

For me, the question isn't about who OWASP members are. It is about who
visits OWASP.org, what they look at, and what they distribute to other
people. It is about how many people use ESAPI, read the T10, etc...

I'm not a  "marketing-oriented type" and can't even play one on TV, but
I think this is OWASP's selling strategy, not who its members are.

I know that Aspect Security has a special relationship with OWASP, but
look at the T10 wiki (http://www.owasp.org/index.php/Top_10_2010) and,
even better, the T10 presentation
(http://owasptop10.googlecode.com/files/OWASP_Top_10_-_2010%20Presentation.pptx).
Tell the marketing-oriented types "Imagine your logo here."

Hope this makes sense. As I said I was going for an all-or-nothing. Hope
I scored.

Neil Smithline