[Owasp-leaders] Blogs under owasp.org?

John Wilander john.wilander at owasp.org
Mon Oct 25 14:55:04 EDT 2010

2010/10/25 Jim Manico <jim.manico at owasp.org>

> Perhaps everyone can post to their own OWASP and personal blogs, but we
> could repost to owasp.blogspot.com - the "official OWASP Blog (for now)" -
> if individual authors would like it to be reposted at owasp.blogspot.com?

I've been blogging personally and successfully for two years+ while the
company I work for tried this kind of "collaborative blog". The co-blog
didn't work out well for us. Why? Because you need commitment to get blog
posts and bloggers get committed by the possibility of building personal
trademarks. Collaborative blogs tend to be anonymous and nobody really feels
bad if nothing is posted for a month. If you have your own blog *you* are
responsible and you build *your* brand. That drives.

Maybe owasp.blogspot.com is big enough to attract blog posts of the type
"Hey, look, I posted on the official OWASP blog" but I doubt it. For
postings on OWASP specific issues it'll work. But if I spend a weekend
writing about securing REST services, drawing figures and adding code
examples ... well, then I want my name on that. Explicitly. Also, I want to
time it's publication, I want to spread the link myself to get more
followers on Twitter, and I want to decide when my work-intensive REST
posting gets pushed down by "random cool link".

So what's in it for OWASP if we consider personal blogs? Well, to start with
we offer our hard working leaders something nice. Second, we get co-branding
with good bloggers. Third, the OWASP brand will be in all those
(unshortened) links floating around on Twitter and in emails.

   Regards, John

--
John Wilander
Chapter co-leader OWASP Sweden, http://owaspsweden.blogspot.com