[Owasp-leaders] OWASP Tinyurl Service (Was Short url)

Calderon, Juan Carlos (GE, Corporate, consultant) juan.calderon at ge.com
Wed Oct 13 09:25:36 EDT 2010

MediaWiki (OWASP Site software) supports Short URLs, although they are
not recommended to be implemented for conflicts with Wikimedia name
spaces.

I guess the best solution will be to have a sub domain with short URLs
pointing to actual www.owasp.org URLs, but that will imply effort from
our IT guys (whoever she/he is now)

BTW twitter posts are deforming the OWASP site main page

Regards,
Juan C Calderon

________________________________

From: owasp-leaders-bounces at lists.owasp.org
[mailto:owasp-leaders-bounces at lists.owasp.org] On Behalf Of Ferdinand
Vroom
Sent: Martes, 12 de Octubre de 2010 02:25 p.m.
To: owasp-leaders at lists.owasp.org
Subject: Re: [Owasp-leaders] OWASP Tinyurl Service (Was Short url)

I was not asking for a url shortening service, allthough the service
might be a sollution to my question when it's implemented just for url's
within the owasp.org domain.
I am not looking for a url shortening service like bit.ly or tiny url,
etc.

We, the organisers of the OWASP BeNeLux conference are looking for a
shorter url for the conference wiki page.
It's now: http://www.owasp.org/index.php/BeNeLux_OWASP_Day_2010.
You know how vulnerable those kind of long and complex url's are for
phishing scams...
We would like something as short as: http://www.owasp.org/benelux

So we are not asking for a url shortening service which creates url's in
the owasp.org domain for url's outside the owasp domain. Those are far
more complex to maintain and easier to compromise.

Greetings,

Ferdinand
OWASP Netherlands Chapter

2010/10/11 Neil Matatall <neil at owasp.org>

	Would there be any interest in developing an OWASP tinyurl
service?  It might be a good way to use the brand to promote security
with the potential for damage if a nasty link gets through.

	There would have to be...

	*	an approval process (so there would be very few links
actually "endorsed")
	*	a review and alerting process in the case that a site
gets compromised
	*	an endorsement of the source by multiple members/leaders

	*	etc

	I think I just talked myself out of this but it could be useful
and a way to get a little more brand recognition out there.  My vote
would be that this is too cumbersome and the potential impact is a
little too big for my comfort.  Nevertheless, I would like to discuss
this if others are willing and interested.

	Neil

	On Mon, Oct 11, 2010 at 5:53 AM, Ferdinand Vroom
<ferdinand.vroom at owasp.org> wrote:

		Paulo,

		We would like to use a short url for our opsomming
BeNeLux conference.
		Preferrably, http://www.owasp.org/benelux.
		Could you arrange for that?

		Greetings,

		Ferdinand
		Netherlands Chapter

		2010/10/9, Paulo Coimbra <paulo.coimbra at owasp.org>:
		> Leaders,
		>
		>
		>
		> I am glad to announce I've just set a new project up -
the OWASP Secure Web
		> Application Framework Manifesto, led by Rohit Sethi.
Please welcome his new
		> OWASP initiative!

http://www.owasp.org/index.php/OWASP_Secure_Web_Application_Framework_Ma
nife
		> sto#tab=Project_About
		>
		>
		>
		> http://www.owasp.org/index.php/User:Rksethi
		>
		>
		>
		> As always, your suggestions and contributions would be
greatly appreciated.

		> In addition, this project already has a very mature
release, OWASP Secure
		> Web Application Framework Manifesto/Version v0.08 -
please glance at it.

http://www.owasp.org/index.php/Projects/OWASP_Secure_Web_Application_Fra
mewo
		> rk_Manifesto/Releases/Current
		>
		>
		>
		> If the project leader and his contributors ultimately
decide to have this
		> release assessed as I am counting on, I will update
you.

		> Many thanks, regards,
		>
		>
		>
		> Paulo Coimbra,
		>
		>  <https://www.owasp.org/index.php/Main_Page> OWASP