[Owasp-leaders] Metrics

Sethi, Rohit rohit at securitycompass.com
Mon Nov 29 17:08:04 EST 2010

James, I think this is what the “Centralized Security Configuration Options” requirement is trying to capture (to some extent): http://www.owasp.org/index.php/Projects/OWASP_Secure_Web_Application_Framework_Manifesto/Releases/Current/Manifesto#Centralized_Security_Configuration_Options

Maybe we can focus on practical ways to refine that?

Rohit Sethi
Director, Professional Services
Security Compass
http://www.securitycompass.com<http://www.securitycompass.com/>
To: owasp-leaders at lists.owasp.org
Cc: James McGovern

Hi James,

I studied a number of different labeling regimes and presented the results at OWASP AppSec DC 2010.  Here are the slides and what I intended to say is in the notes.

http://www.owasp.org/images/1/17/2010-11_OWASP_Software_Labels.pptx

The key finding from my research is that the content of the label doesn’t really matter that much. Even though it seems like the point is to inform the consumer, that doesn’t work very well.  Actually what you end up doing is affecting the producers.  Which is probably what we wanted to achieve in the first place.

You can try my “Security Facts” label generating software at:

https://www.aspectsecurity.com/SecurityFacts

Have fun!

--Jeff

Jeff Williams, Chair