[Owasp-leaders] Metrics

Jeff Williams jeff.williams at owasp.org
Mon Nov 29 14:36:20 EST 2010

Hi James,

I studied a number of different labeling regimes and presented the results at OWASP AppSec DC 2010.  Here are the slides and what I intended to say is in the notes.

http://www.owasp.org/images/1/17/2010-11_OWASP_Software_Labels.pptx

The key finding from my research is that the content of the label doesn’t really matter that much. Even though it seems like the point is to inform the consumer, that doesn’t work very well.  Actually what you end up doing is affecting the producers.  Which is probably what we wanted to achieve in the first place.

You can try my “Security Facts” label generating software at:

https://www.aspectsecurity.com/SecurityFacts

Have fun!

--Jeff

Jeff Williams, Chair