[Owasp-leaders] RFC: Two proposed next tweaks to the services registry

Boberski, Michael [USA] boberski_michael at bah.com
Mon May 24 14:53:24 EDT 2010

Hi John. No worries.

[John] Does "listings are currently required to provide information" mean "the list has to include certain information about each provider"?

[Mike] Yes. For example, for "Verification", the following information is needed: "Provider listings are required to include the following information: company name and link to corporate web site, company location and markets served, company area(s) of application technology expertise, ASVS verification levels offered; approach to performing verifications, and contact name and email."

[John] What are "descriptions of approaches"?

[Mike] How one would go about performing e.g. verification. For example, for verification: "Acme Application Security Co.'s approach to performing dynamic scans (1A) combines passive vulnerability scanning with manually testing areas of interest. Our approach to performing source code scans (1B) targets both application code and goes beyond ASVS Level 1A requirements to additionally scan any open source underlying frameworks and libraries that were modified or extended to create your application. All reports are tailored to meet organization requirements."

[John] Could you given an example of a "given service"?

[Mike] Yes: "Verification" (for example, code review according to ASVS requirements), "Implementation Services" (for example, calling ESAPI for Java from a framework), "Process Improvement" (process improvement according to each of the SAMM business functions), and "Training" (training using an OWASP Guide).

Best,

Mike B.