[Owasp-leaders] OWASP job postings (was: OWASP 2010 Membership Drive)

John Wilander john.wilander at owasp.org
Sat May 22 04:44:36 EDT 2010

2010/5/22 Seba <seba at owasp.org>

> For job postings: pls direct people to
> http://www.owasp.org/index.php/OWASP_Jobs

We discussed the jobs wiki page about a month ago on this list. I stand by
what I said back then – it doesn't work for non-US appsec people.

Yesterday I got an email from an Irish guy who's looking for appsec
expertise. He wanted me to email my chapter with his offer and I explained I
couldn't. I reckon 80 % of my members will leave our chapter list if we
start allowing commercial postings. So, I directed him to the OWASP Jobs
page and he replied just the way I anticipated – the jobs page doesn't solve
his problem.

Why? Well, Europeans don't look for jobs on what feels like an American or
global webpage. They look at national or even regional web pages. What does
a commercial job site such as Monster ask you, first thing? "Please select
your country" (http://www.monster.com/geo/siteselection.aspx). I click
"Sweden" and arrive at a page written in Swedish. From there on I start
looking for jobs. Monster would never provide its users with one global jobs
page, just based on profession.

We have an incredible work force out there in the form of chapters and
chapter leaders. They could easily configure and even moderate a national or
regional jobs page as long as OWASP provides the platform. I'd be willing to
do it for Sweden at least. That way we would provide yet another great thing
for the community.

   /John

--
John Wilander