[Owasp-leaders] Commercial delivery of courses based on OWASPmaterials

Brian Bertacini brian at appsecconsulting.com
Thu May 13 20:10:06 EDT 2010

Hi Dinis,

Some of the scenarios below create an appearance where OWASP will be viewed
as a commercial organization (just look at the name).

Your proposal sounds like the PCI-SSC; collecting money to manage and
certify service providers.  The PCI-SSC has implemented a quality assurance
program and places service providers in a "Remediation Status" for failing
to meet defined quality standards.  Will OWASP be ready to hire full time QA
Analysts to police the Commercial Services program?  This might be necessary
to ensure consistent and high-quality service delivery to protect the OWASP
brand.  If I understand most of the scenarios below, there is a requirement
for commercial organizations to pay OWASP an annual sponsorship/membership
fee.  Like PCI, the annual fee is a bigger burden for smaller service
providers.  I could go on but I think you get the point.

Personally I like the concept of OWASP Commercial Services.  As a risk
management and information security professional I'm concerned about risk
this introduces to the OWASP brand.

My $.02,
Brian Bertacini
Bay Area OWASP Chapter