[Owasp-leaders] Status of OWASP Grants / Seasons of Code

dinis cruz dinis.cruz at owasp.org
Mon Jun 14 07:29:37 EDT 2010

Yeah, we need to remove that, it is quite out of date.

See below some  comments on the Michael's questions:

On 14 June 2010 03:19, Michael Coates <michael.coates at owasp.org> wrote:

> On the owasp front page we have a "Grants" section which links to this
> page:
> http://www.owasp.org/index.php/OWASP_Grants
>
> A few questions:
> 1. Are we still funding Grants for research / work?

Not really, the focus has changed from paying the creation of OWASP
materials, to paying for the logistical support required to make those
projects a success (note that this model is still in a state of flux. At the
last board meeting we approved a 15k USD budget for one of this
activities<http://www.owasp.org/index.php/June_7,_2010>  which
will try to implement this new model (I will send more details about it
later this week))

2. If so, has anyone applied recently or been approved?

With anyone = an 'owasp leader',  then then answer is no (there was some
talk about Jim Manico providing project management support for EASPI which
didn't happen, and Arshan Dabirsiaghi has long stooped being paid to work on
the http://www.owasp.org/index.php/Category:Intrinsic_Security_Working_Groupproject).

There are also  a some threads about getting a couple Interns for the Summer
(to help OWASP Projects), but that also not been finalized

> 3. Should we perhaps remove or update the Season of Code 2009? I believe

that never happened.

yes, it never happened and we need to remove it

> 4. Are we planning any future seasons of code? It may just be me, but it
> seemed that the 08 SoC made lots of things happen for OWASP. Since then
> things have seemed a bit slow.

The concept of Seasons of Code is currently on hold, due to:

   1) need to complete the reorganization and mapping of ALL OWASP project
under the new 'Project Information' tab and 'Template Driven Wiki pages' (we
need help)
   2) focus to move the (limited) OWASP financial resources from paying
OWASP Leaders (which is a VERY complicated issue) to providing logistical &
operational resources to those projects and leaders
   3) lack of funds (OWASP due to the recession, new membership model and
some losses at OWASP Conferences; is still in a not very strong financial
position)

Regarding the speed of OWASP, I don't that is has slowed down THAT much. The
fact that we are much bigger means that some great efforts/documents/tools
don't get has much visibility as before :)

That said, I agree that *we need an injection of energy*,* so if you have
ideas* *please run with them*,  or start/join a project, or contact the
project leader, or contact relevant OWASP Committee (which you can join if
you want).

Dinis Cruz
OWASP Board Member